Monday, January 16, 2006

Our day with the local Fire Department

Today, Caden and I had a date with MOMS Club to have a tour of the local firestation. It was very fun and Caden, who was timid at first, really enjoyed it! Firestation Pics

Our day wasn't over quite yet when we came home with them. Mike was off of work and to enjoy the day with daddy we decided to go to lunch. He started the car and put the boys in their carseats. I came out with my set of keys, because they are the only ones with our house key on it, and he went back in to gather his wallet and such.
I was putting Riordan's shoes on, who was getting a little fussy. So I handed him my keys. He does his usual, putting his mouth all over them, then found the lock button on the truck and was playing with that. I didn't think anything about it, just to took them away and tossed them on the front seat.
I shut his door and went to open mine. LOCKED!! The boys, strapped in their carseats, locked doors, and car running. I panicked immediately. I started to bang on the house door so that Mike didn't leave it locking us out of it as well. He comes out and Caden and Riordan, who are not sure what's going on, just sit patiently.
As Mike is trying to teach Caden for the first time how to get out of his carseat, I'm on the phone with 911. They transfer me to, yep, our local firestation, the exact location we had just been. I told them the car was running, and that Mike was trying to get Caden to unbuckle and get to the keys on the front seat. We knew he wasn't going to be able to unlock the door or open it because we kept the boys doors on childlock. So I assume because of this, they didn't rush, because it was almost 15 minutes later (they are literally 2 minutes away) that they show up. (I also know they weren't in a rush, for Michelle was still at the station when the guys left!)
In the meantime, Caden has been able to undo the top latch and the left side of his seatbelt. Then he tried to slide his leg out of the straps, these carseats are well made, he can't budge it. He even took off his shoe and sock to try ;-) He started to get frustrated so we took 'breaks' and would try again. All along, praising him for doing such an incredible job and he would get a special treat. His immediate response, "Can I have candy?" We of course said, "You can have anything you want!"
Just as the firetruck came around the corner, Caden reaches over to the window button, pushes it and rolls it down!!!!!!! Now, like I said, the doors are always on childlock, so we just assumed this wasn't an option! Mike and I began to laugh, as did the boys.
I call over to the firemen, who recognized us right away, and told them he rolled the window down and that I was so sorry that they had to bring the BIG firetruck out. They asked if the boys were ok, said it was no problem and all began to wave goodbye.
So this week, we are making our local firefighters a thank you treat and recoding the code on the outside of the truck so this can never, ever happen again ;-)
Apparently, I have been having a key issue. Last week at Target, I locked the keys in the same car as well. I was on the cell phone sitting in the parking lot, so not paying attention, when I was done with the call, I dropped the keys and the phone in the cup holder. I had to call Mike to come and use the spare key. Didn't learn my lesson then, so you can bet we all have now ;-)

1 comment:

Improper Bostonian said...

I want to write something witty but I'm laughing to hard right now....Kelly