Tuesday, August 12, 2008

One of my fears

has come to light. Caden being bored this year in Kindergarten because he had Kindersteps last year. For over a week now, he either says he is bored with school because "all we do is color and trace" or he says "i'm sick and i can't go to school".
He never ONCE said any of this last, in fact on the day he was sick with a fever of 103, he cried because he was missing school.
Mike and I just look at each other. I have felt lost on what to do with him. I feel that boredom leads to misbehaving! (funny Dani to read your blog huh?!) I would hate to lose my good natured, well mannered little boy!
So I was sharing my woes with my girl Kristi yesterday. I was wondering should I just persue him going into the 1st grade, is it too late?, and then I don't want him turning 6 when most of his friends would be turning 7!
She says, "Why don't you look into the gifted program." I was in shock! Why hadn't someone told me about this before! Of course!! And I never knew they had one for Kindergarten. Well I called the CATS program, and they do! They have testing 3 times a year, the first one in September. If he tests well for the program then we would have the option, if there was room, to go to the school where the program is offered on a whole for Kindergarten, or remain at his school and a CATS teacher would assign him extra work. I prefer the latter of course.
Mike and I are so pleased with this opportunity! While we love his teacher, we can't expect her to challenge Caden more when most of the class is just beginning Kindergarten. I need to mail in his application today to get a time and date for his testing, which will be on a Saturday in September.

On a another note, another one of my fears, is my horrible summer cold has gone into my chest. Once again, Kristi to the rescue and she recommended Mucinex! Let me tell you it started working within the hour of releasing the tightness in my chest and making things a lot more productive!  It still amazes me where all this crud comes from! So today I'm breathing easier I think due to the Mucinex loosing up my nose and my chest. A lot of my pressure in my sinus is gone, just feels a little inflammed.
Today we will again take it easy, as I did yesterday. Take the Ca(y)dens to school and then come home to work on the playroom. Teagan is so excited for dance tomorrow and keeps talking about her teacher Miss Mimi!! And she especially keeps talking about her girlfriend Macey ;-)

1 comment:

DARES said...

I LOVE mucinex! The only two things I use for myself or the boys when we are sick is mucinex (they make a kiddie powder) and vapor plugs....we feel better in no time!

I also worry about Ethan getting bored in school next year - he is older and turns 6 just after starting K next fall...good to know there are options if that happens! Thanks for sharing!